Devnology podcast 040 - Commitment
This episode was recorded on the 14th of May 2013 in Amersfoort at the book launch of Commitment, a graphic business novel about risk management and Real Options. We talk with all three authors:
Olav Maassen is an experienced project manager and consultant at Xebia in the Netherlands and has more than ten years of experience working mainly for financial institutions and big corporations.
You can follow Olav at twitter.com/OlavMaassen
Chris Matts is a consultant who specializes in developing risk management and trading system for investment banks. He has studied for a masters degree in financial mathematics ( Mathematical Trading and Finance ).
You can follow Chris at twitter.com/PapaChrisMatts
Chris Geary is a London-based, experienced graphic artist. He attended the London Cartoon Centre, mainly under the tutorage of David Lloyd. Chris has just finished working on a series of four historical graphic novels due for publication over the next few years. Follow Chris on twitter at @ChrisAGeary
In the interview the authors explain a lot of the concepts from the book. We also talk about the process of how the book came about.
Links for this podcast:
- We talk about some patterns that are related to the Real Options, such as Latent Code Patterns and Staff Liquidity
- Chris and Olav explain why the Black Scholes formula is not really applicable in the context of Real Options for software development
- Preston Smith was one of the first to coin the phrase 'Make the commitment at the last responsible moment'..
- Joseph Campbell's monomyth, or the hero's journey, is a basic pattern that its proponents argue is found in many narratives from around the world
- Inkshot.com is where Chris Geary publishes the International Aces series of Graphic Novels
- To see more, check out Chris Matts and Olav talking about Real Options at Lean and Kanban Benelux 2011
This podcast is in English - Deze podcast is in het Engels
This podcast was published on 25-09-2013 and lasts for 44:42 minutes